Kevin's BBQ Joints

Kevin's BBQ Joints Blog

Austin BBQ – New BBQ Joint – Wheaton, Illinois

Thanks to Grace A. Reband from the Wheatonpatch for her piece on another new BBQ Joint that opened up in Illinois. Austin BBQ, from owner/pitmaster Doug Pierce, opened with the “goal is to bring you an authentic experience and taste of the Texas Barbecue Belt, from the Hill Country surrounding Austin.”

Photo courtesy of Grace A. Reband

From the article, “We specialize in Texas-style beef brisket, smoked until rendered and tendered. In keeping with the Texas market traditions, we serve it with white bread or saltine crackers, with pickles, onions, and cheese on the side. We also serve pulled pork, babyback ribs, St. Louis ribs, beef ribs, California-style Tri-Tip, chicken with a white barbecue sauce, smoked burgers and brats and hot links.” It goes on, “The neatest thing about this place is the all-wood burning pit. It uses no gas and no electric. The stove weighs 4,200 pound, and it took a crane to lift it off the truck when it was delivered.” The piece noted too that Doug gets all of his meats from the Wheaton Meat Company.

See the entire piece here

Sounds like we might have a winner in Wheaton. It is nice to see someone with real BBQ passion opening up a joint with the sole thought being to provide great BBQ day in and day out. Please let me know if you’ve been here as I would love to hear your thoughts.

You can find Austin BBQ here:

View Larger Map

Posted in BBQ Joints on by kevin - Comments (6)

6 Comments »

1. Thanks for linking to us!

Comment by Charlotte Eriksen — January 30, 2011 @ 10:02 pm

2. Terrific smoky barbeque that gets its flavor from the smoking and not from the barbeque sauce. Had food from Austin BBQ twice in less than a week. This could be addicting!

Comment by Marianne Callahan — February 26, 2011 @ 8:28 pm

3. The service was awful…. the people were rude and mean, they forgot the sauce for our ribs and pulled pork and 2 side dishes and gave us only 1 cornbread and it was jalepeno instead of normal. An hour after calling in my expensive 2 dish order, I am disappointed. All that money and what do i have half of one dinner, half of another and my husband is running out for bbq sauce now since we don’t want to go back to those rude people.

Comment by LL — May 15, 2011 @ 1:28 am

4. Called tonight to order takeout and was told I needed to hurry up and get down there to pick up my food because they were closing soon. Apparently it was more important for the staff to close the minute the clock struck 9:00 pm than it was to stay open a couple minutes late to do some business and take care of a customer.

Was then further told that they were out of cornbread and only had beef ribs left. I decided to take my business elsewhere and don’t plan on bringing business to this establishment anytime in the near future.

Reading the above comment of a rude staff seems to fit my own very brief experience with Austin BBQ. I most certainly do not plan to encourage any of my friends that live in Wheaton to frequent this establishment and it’s rude hospitality.

Comment by Irritated — July 23, 2011 @ 11:21 pm

5. Staff is rude bunch of kids that don’t want to be there. I have been there three times and every time I get home, my order has been wrong and missing something. I called just now and the woman didn’t even apologize for their mistake she just said well make sure you get back here before we close.

We will never be back. It’s a shame too I just moved to wheaton and I was excited about a great q joint. Service sucks the q is mediocre. Take the time and go to smoque on Pulaski in Chicago. Way better food and service.

Comment by Kevin — July 29, 2011 @ 2:39 pm

6. I was in your place this evening 6/14 and brought a friend of
    mine because I have been there before. My friend ordered
    half slab of ribs. They were very black and very dry. I had
    the briskets which is always a good choice. Except the cole
    slaw was tasteless tonight. So, I just wanted to let you how
    disappointed we were with the ribs. I don’t know if it was because it was about 7p.m. or what, but they were very
    dry and she couldn’t eat all of them. Thank you for listening
    Patricia Alexander